I guess we are unconsciously channelling you in Los Angeles, so when Little C came home starving from school today, I chopped up half a green apple, a beautiful avocado, conjured up a quick fix salad and pretended we were snacking at a hole in the wall taqueria somewhere in SoCal. Sigh! Have you had some great Mexican on this trip? Glad to hear you made your annual hike in the hills as the Three Musketeers again : how nice to be reunited with your gal pals. I am looking forward to hearing all their news when we see you for Christmas.
So, Izzy. When you are back in Melbourne and pining for some LA flavours, here is the salad which will satisfy that need. As you can see from the pics, it made a good study time snack.
Quick Mexican Inspired Salad
- 1/2 ripe but firm avocado, skinned and chopped
- 1/2 green apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 a dozen cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 a cup of finely diced cucumber
- 1/2 a pickled chilli, sliced fine (optional)
- a handful of greens ( I used rocket/arugula)
- a few sprigs of fresh cilantro/coriander
- a tiny amount of finely diced onion ( one to two tablespoons depending on how much you like it!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- corn chips
Combine all the ingredients and serve with a handful of corn chips. Ole!