I made this last night, second time in quick succession because it is much appreciated by the family. My vague intention was to document it here after a pretty long hiatus from this site.
I woke up this morning to find this message from our globetrotting model sprite:
Hello!!!! I am staying with family in Bristol and guess what my go-to website is for recipes to make them….IZZY HAVE YOU EATEN!! Please update it more, I love it so so much your recipes are amazing and so easy to follow! How is LA life? Missing u xxxoxooxxx
Well, such an enthusiastic message has gotten me off my rear end and here is that recipe I was contemplating. It is so completely easy, but really tasty and a great side dish to go with a protein or else for a vegan or vegetarian, it is good with something like a saucy eggplant dish.
- 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 1 heaped tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, I use Rice Bran oil
- handful of toasted walnuts (optional)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- handful of soaked and drained currants (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and when hot, add all the powdered spices except the cinnamon.
- Add the onion and when the pieces have softened, lower the heat and cook further till brown and well coated with spices; all up about ten minutes.
- Place the warm rice in a serving bowl.
- Add the other ingredients into the bowl: walnuts, currants, beans, cinnamon.
- Add the hot spiced onion mixture with the rice and beans and stir well. Add salt to taste and if you like, you can add some chopped parsley for colour.